OUR PURPOSE articulates where we are centered, our character, our contribution, our communication message, and the communities we serve.
OUR BUSINESS MODEL applies many of the business principles articulated by Jim Collins, Clay Christensen, Bill George, and Michael Porter. We leverage the business principles of Collins’ Flywheel, Christensen’s Disruptive Innovation, George’s Authentic Leadership, and Porter’s Shared Value concept.
OUR SOLUTIONS leverage integrated learning systems coupled to high performance behavioral economics and serve consumers, families, and caregivers through communities of practice.
Business Principle Experts and Sources
The following is a list of the subject matter experts who have contributed to the global business scene. We have direct relationships with some who are collaborating with us on CareUniversity, and some are sources of inspiration through their work.
Professor at Harvard Business School
Best Selling Business Author: Innovators Dilemma, Innovator’s Prescription, How Will You Measure Your Life, The Innovators DNA, and many more
Business Concepts Applied by CareU: Many of his 15 theories including “Disruptive Innovation,” “Work-to-be-Done,” and “How Will You Measure Your Life” are just a few of the concepts we are applying. Professor Christensen has also been featured in our Discovery documentary series.
Professor at Harvard Business School: A a leading authority on competitive strategy; the competitiveness and economic development of nations, states, and regions; and the application of competitive principles and strategic approaches to social needs, such as health care, innovation, and corporate responsibility.
Business Concepts Applied by CareU: Shared Value and principles articulated in How to Fix Healthcare including value mapping published in Harvard Business Review.
Best Selling Business Author: Great by Choice, Good to Great, How the Mighty Fall, and Built to Last.
Business Concepts Applied by CareU: We apply a number of Collin’s concepts including the Flywheel, 10X-ers, BHAG, Hedge Hog, and Level 5 Leadership. Jim Collins has also been featured in the Discovery documentary series co-produced by TMIT.
Pastor Saddleback Church
Best Selling Business Author: Purpose Driven Life – the most successful non-fiction book in the world with more than 33 million copies sold in 85 languages.
Business Concepts Applied by CareU: The concept of purpose of one’s life was applied to CareU and built into its Purpose and Code of Conduct. Many of Rick Warren’s messages have inspired the CareU approach to mind, body, and spirit. His focus on nutrition, healthcare, and wellness has also been a guiding light to CareUniversity.
Founder of Grameen Bank, Nobel Prize Winner, and Best Selling Author: His development of micro-lending in Bangladesh articulated in the best selling book Building Social Business led him to win the Nobel Prize in 2006.
Business Concepts Applied by CareU: The principles articulated in Building Social Business and micro-lending principles he shared in meetings with Dr. Denham were incorporated into the CareU micro-entrepreneurship program for CareMoms.
Professor at Harvard Business School
Best Selling Business Author: One of the worlds most successful CEOs, he is author of Authentic Leadership, 7 Lessons of Leading through Crisis, and the True North series.
Business Concepts Applied by CareU: Bill George is one of the leaders of the Harvard Advanced Leadership Initiative where he inspired our core CareU leadership team by applying values to life’s crucibles and how to lead in crises. Has also been featured in the Discovery documentary series co-produced by TMIT.
Best Selling Author A consultant to some of the world’s largest and most successful companies, she is the best selling author of Responsible Business, and The Responsible Entrepreneur.
Business Concepts Applied by CareU: The leadership team has worked closely with her in its global food innovation support work and her principles align perfectly with the principle of Shared Value which is a foundational CareU pillar.
Best Selling Business Author: The best selling author of Winning in Fast-time, he has shared powerful military principles to optimize business success based on his leadership in the U.S. armed forces.
Business Concepts Applied by CareU: The approach of targeting Centers of Gravity in the market ecosystem has been a long time practice of the HCC Corporation element of the CareU leadership team. CareU will use Walden’s approach to country and region programs.
Abbreviated Reference List
- Collins J. Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap…And Others Don’t. New York (NY): HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.; 2001.
- Collins J. How The Mighty Fall: And Why Some Companies Never Give In. New York (NY): HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.; 2009.
- Collins J, Hansen MT. Great by Choice: Uncertainty, Chaos, and Luck – Why Some Thrive Despite Them All. New York (NY): HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.; 2011.
- Collins J, Porras JI. Built to Last: Successful Habits of Visionary Companies. New York (NY): HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.; 2002.
- George B. 7 Lessons for Leading in Crisis. San Francisco (CA): Jossey-Bass; 2009.
- George B, Sims P. True North: Discover Your Authentic Leadership. San Francisco (CA): Jossey-Bass; 2007.
- George B. Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value. San Francisco (CA): Jossey-Bass; 2003.
- Chopra S, Fisher D. Leadership by Example: The Ten Key Principles of All Great Leaders. New York (NY): Thomas Dunne Books; 2012.
- Warren R. The Purpose Driven Life. Grand Rapids (MI): Zondervan; 2005.
- Christensen CM, Grossman JH, Hwang J. The Innovator’s Prescription: A Disruptive Solution for Health Care. New York (NY): McGraw-Hill; 2009.
- Christensen CM, Allworth J, Dillon K. How Will You Measure Your Life? New York (NY): HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.; 2012.
- Christensen CM. The Innovator’s Dilemma: The Revolutionary Book That Will Change the Way You Do Business. 3rd edition. New York (NY): HarperCollins Publishers, Inc.; 2003.
- Dyer J, Gregersen H, Christensen CM. The Innovator’s DNA: Mastering the Five Skills of Disruptive Innovators. Boston (MA): Harvard Business School Publishing; 2011.
- Porter ME, Kramer MR. Shared Value: How to Reinvent Capitalism – and Unleash a Wave of Innovation and Growth. Harvard Business Review 2011 Jan; 2-17
- Kaplan RS, Porter ME. How to Solve the Cost Crisis in Healthcare. Harvard Business Review 2011 Sep;46-64.
- Porter ME, Hills G, Pfitzer M, et al. Measuring Shared Value: How to Unlock Value by Linking Social and Business Results. Boston (MA): FSG, Inc.; 2012 Oct.
- Porter ME, Lee TH. The Strategy That Will Fix Healthcare. Harvard Business Review 2013 Oct;2-19.
- Warden, John A.; Russell, Leland A. (2002), Winning in FastTime. Montgomery: Venturist Books,
- Sanford C, Henderson R, Holliday C. The Responsible Business: Reimagining Sustainability and Success. 2011